Speech-language pathology and Deglutology are a division of allied health sciences.The Department of speech therapy at Mokshaa focuses on the treatment of:
- Speech disorders
Disorders resulting in affected or decreased clarity of speech, because of articulation disorders, stammering, dysarthria due to neuromuscular disorders such as stroke, cerebral palsy, bell’s palsy, Dysarthria due to degenerating neural conditions such as Multiple sclerosis, Wilson’s disease, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, etc.
- Language Disorders
Disorders affecting the language understanding and speaking abilities due to reasons such as atypical development such as syndromes, delayed speech and language development, neuro atypical development such as ASD, ADHD, Aphasia post brain injury due to stroke, TBI or tumors, reading writing difficulties affecting scholastic performance
- Swallowing Disorders
Disorders affecting ones eating and swallowing difficulties such as pediatric feeding issues, pain while swallowing, cough after eating, weight loss and other symptoms suggestive of Dysphagia( swallowing disorders) due to neurological problems such as stroke/TBI or due to neuromuscular disorders such as Cerebral palsy, Neuro degenerative disorders such as GB syndrome, or swallowing disorders due to head and neck cancers.
- Cognitive linguistic disorders
Disorders affecting one’s cognitive skills such as memory, verbal problem solving reasoning etc due to degenerative disorders such as dementia, alzihmer’s, or due to developmental disorders such as Mental retardation, or due to psychosocial disorders such as Schizophrenia
- Voice disorders
Disorders affecting one’s voice, such as vocation-related vocal abuse seen in teachers, radio jockey, singers, voice disorders due to neural issues such as vocal cord paralysis, spasmodic dysphonia or due to musculoskeletal issues such, vocal cord nodules/polyps etc.
What do we do?
- We use standardized assessment protocols and evidence based practices to arrive at a diagnosis to start the therapeutic management
- Fluoroscopic and endoscopic and acoustic technologies are used when necessary in order to have an in-depth understanding of a patient’s problems
- Standardized treatment protocols and evidence based practices are used to treat the disorders by experienced and certified therapists in order to achieve functional communication skills and feeding and swallowing skills to lead an independent and full life
Treatments provided by occupational therapy
- Voice therapy
- Articulation therapy
- Fluency therapy
- Dysarthria therapy
- Aphasia therapy
- Dysphagia therapy
- Coma stimulation
- Speech therapy for ASD/ADHD population
- Speech therapy for developmental delay/syndromes/IDD
- Speech therapy for hearing impairment/AVT
- laryngectomy/mandiblectomy/glossectomy therapy
- Cognitive linguistic rehabilitation